Wednesday, January 18, 2012

1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Hasegawa Polish Air Force

One day, while digging in my stash, I found little Polikarpov I-16 released by Hasegawa.

Inside the box we find two big sprues containing parts common for all versions released by Hasegawa,
and two smaller sprues, along with windshield, and of course decal sheet along with instructions.

While checking publications about I-16, I found an old Polish publication TBiU #48
When I saw the cover, I knew I have to make it with Polish markings.
However some sources state, that it should be UTI-4 variant, instead of single seater.
Despite the doubts about the correct variant of the aircraft, I decided to go with I-16, since I already had it in my hands. And in the future I'll probably tackle UTI-4 as well.

The model kit assembles without any hassle. First I assembled sparse cockpit. I wasn't too troubled with its lack of details, because from the beginning I wanted to place pilot's figure in it.
The engine isn't too detailed, but it's barely visible from behind the cover.
Having the plane quickly assembled, I could take care of painting. Paint scheme is simple as the plane - khaki/green & light blue.
 I used Polish Air Force checkerboards from Techmod's set, then applied very light wash into the panel lines, and did some smoke smudges from exhaust pipes.
 
 

Little Polikarpov in unusual livery is ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment