Wednesday, February 8, 2012

1/72 German Panzerkampfwagen VIII MAUS Dragon - Workbench

During one club meetings I bought Maus tank model kit from one of the members. Initially I was little bit hesitant, but he convinced me I should give it a shot since I already have built E-100.
Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus was a German World War II super-heavy tank completed in late 1944. It is the heaviest fully enclosed armoured fighting vehicle ever built.
The complete vehicle was 10.2 metres (33 ft 6 in) long, 3.71 metres (12 ft 2 in) wide and 3.63 metres (11.9 ft) tall.
Weighing 200 metric tons, the Maus's main armament was a 128 mm KwK 44 gun with a coaxial 75 mm gun. The 128 mm gun was powerful enough to destroy all enemy armored fighting vehicles at close or medium ranges, and even some at ranges exceeding 3500 meters.

 
When you start assembling the kit, the biggest challenge is the number of wheels used in this tank.
Assembled wheels and bogies
The hull assembly does not present any trouble, and minimal use of filler is required on the front and back joints of top and bottom parts. The only change I made, was adding brass mesh (from tobacco pipe filters) under all vent openings.
The massive turret assembly was also quick and hassle free.
As the next step I painted bottom of the hull and all the wheels sub-assemblies, which I installed in the place.
Turret received the primer coat and initial coat of German Panzer Yellow.

Then I added tracks, which are provided in Dragon's DS one piece band. There detail level is pretty good.

I could not resist to see the whole shape of this monster.

And to visualize its size, I placed tanker's figure with it.





In next episode - painting session... Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment